by MontyTRC (*)
(*) Additional credits: Lwmte, XProger, Stohrendorf, Titak, leveldesigner1, TRTombLevBauer, Gancian, Gemini, Gh0stBlade, Monsieur Z, Teslarus, Banderi, teme9.
Tomb Editor is an unofficial level editor for Tomb Raider 4 custom levels. It is a modern replacement for the RoomEdit level editor from Core Design, also known as "TRLE", which was released to the public in 2000 with Tomb Raider Chronicles and was the original in-house tool used by the development team to produce levels for Tomb Raider 4. Unlike RoomEdit, which dates back to 1999 and Windows 98 era, TombEditor is compatible with modern systems from Windows 7 to Windows 10, supports both 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs, takes advantage of modern GPUs capabilities through the use of DirectX 10 and has a more standard user interface utilizing a spectrum of mouse controls. TombEditor allows for import of RoomEdit's PRJ project files and for use of WAD object files and TGA texture sets, but also introduces its own proprietary PRJ2 format for project files and WAD2 format for object files, which are aimed at lifting the limitations imposed by the original formats. All of the crucial, basic functionality for level editing was ported from RoomEdit, with some of it extended to new abilities, along with new, additional tools developed from scratch to aid the editing process.
Version 1.3.10 - 18/12/2020
List of changes:
- Added level statistics in the bottom of main view. Blue highlight signals a limit exceed.
- Show actual 15-bit lighting for TR3-4 targets and grayscale lighting for TR1-2 targets.
- Apply double-sided attribute for imported geometry, if any.
- Properly show double-sided and blending mode attributes for objects.
- Change default FPS for animated textures to 16 to comply with NGLE defaults.
- An option to reset texture attributes when new selection is done in texture map.
- An option to display warning if double-sided texture is applied to a single-sided face.
- Cleaner font rendering in 3D window.
- Fix room ambient lighting not updating after undo.
- Fix invalid hidden object picking.
- Fix occasional exceptions while using "split sector-based object" function.
- Fix rendering crashes with invalid vertex buffers.
- Add alt + double click hotkey in source wad panel to copy object to different slot.
- Fix additive blending attribute not being imported correctly.
- Fix incorrect pitch preview.
Tomb Editor is now open source! https://github.com/MontyTRC89/Tomb-Editor-Public
Core-Design.com Special Mention :
The 2017 successor to the official Core Design 2000 Tomb Raider Level Editor has landed! Tomb Editor is a fantastic improvement of the original with new features and we recommend any builder to use it. Great job, MontyTRC!
=> Return to Tools <=