by MontyTRC (*)
(*) Additional credits: Lwmte, XProger, Stohrendorf, Titak, leveldesigner1, TRTombLevBauer, Gancian, Gemini, Gh0stBlade, Monsieur Z, Teslarus, Banderi, teme9.
Tomb Editor is an unofficial level editor for Tomb Raider 4 custom levels. It is a modern replacement for the RoomEdit level editor from Core Design, also known as "TRLE", which was released to the public in 2000 with Tomb Raider Chronicles and was the original in-house tool used by the development team to produce levels for Tomb Raider 4. Unlike RoomEdit, which dates back to 1999 and Windows 98 era, TombEditor is compatible with modern systems from Windows 7 to Windows 10, supports both 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs, takes advantage of modern GPUs capabilities through the use of DirectX 10 and has a more standard user interface utilizing a spectrum of mouse controls. TombEditor allows for import of RoomEdit's PRJ project files and for use of WAD object files and TGA texture sets, but also introduces its own proprietary PRJ2 format for project files and WAD2 format for object files, which are aimed at lifting the limitations imposed by the original formats. All of the crucial, basic functionality for level editing was ported from RoomEdit, with some of it extended to new abilities, along with new, additional tools developed from scratch to aid the editing process.
Version 1.3.8 - 28/09/2020 (Update 17/11/2020: It looks like the version 1.3.9. released the 20/10/2020 was dropped.)
List of changes:
- Add Memo object type to store annotations right inside the project.
- Properly calculate lightmap for TR1-3 software rendering.
- Automatically change level version according to loaded wads version.
- Indicate wad version mismatch in level settings.
- Indicate imported geometry with missing textures in level settings properly.
- Allow usage of wav samples with different codecs (not recommended to use).
- Warn if any rooms are outside of map bounds, which may cause pathfinding issues.
- Remove duplicated meshes on compilation.
- Fix camera target trigger not working correctly in some cases.
- Fix imported geometry textures not reconnecting if project directory was moved.
- Fix text labels occasionally rendered in wrong places in 3D window.
- Fix some TR1 entity names.
- Internally import actual vertex colors when importing static meshes and models.
- Fix exceptions when any Lara-related object was deleted from wad.
- Fix last entry in animation list not showing properly.
- Fix frame number labels in animation editor.
- Properly preview sounds with different sample rates.
- Increase compile timeout for very large script files.
Tomb Editor is now open source! https://github.com/MontyTRC89/Tomb-Editor-Public
Core-Design.com Special Mention :
The 2017 successor to the official Core Design 2000 Tomb Raider Level Editor has landed! Tomb Editor is a fantastic improvement of the original with new features and we recommend any builder to use it. Great job, MontyTRC!
=> Return to Tools <=