More on TR3 (1998)
- The Croft Times -
What should we expect from Tomb Raider III? After Ian Livingstone's comment that we reported last issue, there have been several reactions coming from several sources.
PSM Online reported:
It's been rumored that Eidos chairman, Ian Livingstone, has said to the on-line press that we can expect to see Tomb Raider III and IV in the not too distant future -- lies! All lies! "That's bull," a representative at Eidos told PSMOnline today. "We'll clear all this up at E3."
The question still remains, though, what can we expect to see out of Eidos' pocket this year? Tomb Raider Gold? Tomb Raider 2.5? ...The Adventures of Lara Croft? We'll just have to wait and see at E3.
While Susie Hamilton, Core's PR manager commented:
"Although we are working on a couple ideas for a new Tomb Raider game, nothing has been confirmed. When we release (notice it's when not if) Tomb Raider three we want to make sure it offers something new to the player, not just a reworking of the old games..."
Let's hope she's right! Anyway, it seems that Eidos is covering things up until E3, which starts May 27th in Atlanta, so there should be more news in about a month.
While we wait Leonidas compiled a TR3 wish list from alt.games.tombraider and was kind enough to send it to The Croft Times. Some are good suggestions, some not so good, and some are kinda funny... Here it is:
- Smaller Lara graphic/larger screen scale so we can see more of what's going on. Maybe have a zoom in/out function.
- Crouching and crawling movement (to compliment the jumping and hanging).
- Unarmed combat moves (a few judo throws/kicks perhaps).
- Multiplayer option/net support (not sure how this could be done though).
- Multiple difficulty settings.
- Give Lara an ability to hold a flare and a pistol at same time.
- Tougher puzzles/less Blastable Nasties.
- More RPGish interaction with other characters in the game (as opposed to just shooting them!).
- Less linear plot and level design (a more openly explorable area as opposed to just having one test after another). Have more than one way to complete a level.
- A reload key (me want!) to slow down the unending hail of bullets.
- Introduction of a targeting cursor (controlled by the mouse, ala Abuse) for when The Divine Ponytail is shooting at the Blastable Nasties.
- Have Lara show injuries from any damage she takes (limping/broken arm).
- Have Lara use bodyarmour to avoid injuries mentioned above.
- More support for other graphics cards.
- Level editor/designer.
- New weapons and equipment - flamethrower, 1 shot rocket launcher, grappling hook, night vision goggles (for seeing in dark areas).
- Twin-barreled bra-mounted grenade launchers?
=> Return to Articles & Interviews <=