by MontyTRC (*)
(*) Additional credits: Lwmte, XProger, Stohrendorf, Titak, leveldesigner1, TRTombLevBauer, Gancian, Gemini, Gh0stBlade, Monsieur Z, Teslarus, Banderi, teme9.
Tomb Editor is an unofficial level editor for Tomb Raider 4 custom levels. It is a modern replacement for the RoomEdit level editor from Core Design, also known as "TRLE", which was released to the public in 2000 with Tomb Raider Chronicles and was the original in-house tool used by the development team to produce levels for Tomb Raider 4. Unlike RoomEdit, which dates back to 1999 and Windows 98 era, TombEditor is compatible with modern systems from Windows 7 to Windows 10, supports both 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs, takes advantage of modern GPUs capabilities through the use of DirectX 10 and has a more standard user interface utilizing a spectrum of mouse controls. TombEditor allows for import of RoomEdit's PRJ project files and for use of WAD object files and TGA texture sets, but also introduces its own proprietary PRJ2 format for project files and WAD2 format for object files, which are aimed at lifting the limitations imposed by the original formats. All of the crucial, basic functionality for level editing was ported from RoomEdit, with some of it extended to new abilities, along with new, additional tools developed from scratch to aid the editing process.
Update version 1.0.8 - 28/02/2018
- Fixed bug: triggers are now deleted if linked object is deleted
- Added Reload imported geometry to context menu
- Disabled for now TR2/3 support
- Switched back to classic sound system
- New Sounds with subdirectories TR2, TR3, TR4, TR5 folders and new XML files
- New tool for editing sounds XML files
- Fixed rounding precision in the conversion XML <-> SFX
- Autosave now is configurable
- Fixed little bugs
- Fixed bug for flat surfaces between portals when there are diagonal walls
- Fixed importing of statics NG OCB from PRJ
- Minor improvements
Lwmte made this series of useful videos to introduce you to Tomb Editor:
Core-Design.com Special Mention :
The 2017 successor to the official Core Design 2000 Tomb Raider Level Editor has landed! Tomb Editor is a fantastic improvement of the original with new features and we recommend any builder to use it. Great job, MontyTRC!
=> Return to Tools <=